Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
The Light Between Oceans: A Novel - M.L. Stedman There is something about novels set in lighthouses that I find fascinating, and Light Between Oceans is no exception. The setting, a remote island off the coast of Australia, is both paradise and prison. I left the book wanting to spend a week alone on Janus island just to know what it was like.

The story is beautifually written. The author doesn't clog her novel with wordy descriptions, yet she uses wonderful examples of methapor and figurative language. I felt strongly tied to the characters and their plight. In a way, this book reminded. Me of a Jodi Picault novel since it is filled with desperate people in desperate situations. It is all about people who want to do what's best. For their families without knowing what that something is. It was a truly gripping story that kept me interested throughout.

A couple of things, however, prervented this from being a five-star read. One was an annoying habit of the author to suddenly switch from past to present tense. I'm sure this was s literary device of some kind, but it Didn't work for me at all as I don't like prose that draws attention to itself. The sescond thing was that, about halfway through the book, I started to *hate* Izzy, the main character. The author tried to build sympathy for her, but I wasn't buying it. I became so angry, in fact, that I wished she would throw herself into the ocean and put me out of my misery. There was some redemption for her at the end, but not much.

Overall, however, I really enjoyed this story. My favorite thing may be the title, A Light Between Oceans, because it is such a lovely metaphor for the novel.