Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Dead Spell - Belinda Frisch This book started off with a bang. I was immediately drawn into the character, Harmony, a self-destructive teenager trying to keep herself together despite the ghost whose intent on ruining her life. The writing is tight and the plot gripping. I didn't quite like Harmony, but I understood her. I also liked her loyal friend, Brea, and her (unrealistically) decent boyfriend Adam. At the start, the book reminded me a lot of Chuck Wendig's Blackbird.

Halfway through, however, things change dramatically (no spoilers...sorry), and I got the feeling that I'd been cheated. This had a lot to do with what happens to the main character. However, it was also a matter of how the book changed from a ghost story into a strange mystery. Because all of the mystery's clues are embedded into the second half of the book, the plot has a disjointed feel - like the author took two story ideas and glued them together. It's not a bad fit, but it's not seamless, either.

Then, there were some significant changes in Brea's personality. The decisions she made in the end of the book confused me because they seemed so out of character for her. In fact, there were a lot of strange 'twists' in the end that left me scratching my head.

I might have given this book three stars if not for the terrific writing and intriguing plot. I will definitely keep this author in mind again.