Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
White Witch - Trish Milburn Not gonna lie...this book was too simply to YA for me. There are certain young adult books and series that I *love*, but this wasn't one of them. It's not that the writing was poor (in fact, it was quite good), or that the characters were unlikeable; it was the ooey-gooey romance that dominated the story. The first half of the book is primarily about girl meets boy, both fall instantly in love, and make goo-goo eyes at each other. Because of this, I nearly set the book down.

I'm glad that I didn't, though because in the second half of the story, the action (and paranormal stuff) finally kicked in. The second half was quite gripping.

Still, a few things didn't set right with me including the cast of stereotypical characters: gorgeous heroine who has no idea how gorgeous she is; crazy, colorful best friend; moody, mysterious bf; cute, zany guy friend...it was like watching a John Hughes movie. Not bad if that's what you want in a book, but this middle-aged reader wasn't into it. I also questioned a lot of why Jax (the main female character) was able to run away from her father's cruel coven, not to mention why the coven was cruel in the first place. True, they were vicious towards their own coven members, but it wasn't clear why they were cruel to human beings at large. Finally, there were a lot, and I mean a lot, of loose ends at the end of the story.

If it sounds like I hated this book, I didn't. Like I said, the writing was solid; and although the plot dragged for the first 50%, the end was quite exciting. I just think its a book better read by younger readers than myself.