Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Death's Hand - S.M. Reine Although Elise Kavanagh attempts to lay her past as a demon hunter to rest, the demons refuse to let her go.

I have to admit that I nearly set this book aside after reading the prologue. Luckily, I kept reading. The poorly written prologue (which narrates the action in an annoying step-by-step way) did not prepare me for a well-plotted story full of tense action scenes and interesting characters. Although Elise is a tragic, hard-bitten heroine, her affection for her friends saves her from being an annoyingly self-pitying character. There is a nice little romance for her as well, but the relationship is strictly PG.

A few readers have commented on the need for more back story, but I did not find that to be an issue. In fact, I thought the author displayed a lot of skill in building a realistic world in a very short time. I was never lost or confused by what had happened in Elise's past. The writing is fast-paced and compelling.

A few things that nearly got this book a four-star rating included the prologue, the poor formatting (since there are no indents at the beginning of paragraphs, nor are there spaces between paragraphs, everything runs together on the page) and the overly grotesque descriptions of a demon-possessed child.

Overall, I enjoyed this book a great deal and will definitely be reading the other books in the series.