Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare One of the best things about this book was that it didn't rely on the same old tricks presented in the first one. The second best thing was that I was able to read it without any confusion despite the fact that it had been over a year since I read the first book.

Clare has a wonderful imagination, and I was amazed by her ability to world-build. There's some teenage angst here, but for the most part, the book is built around a solid story. Valentine, the bad guy in the series, is very intriguing. Yes, he's a cold-blooded monster, but strangely, a monster with a specific code of ethics. In a way, I found myself not agreeing with him exactly, but at least understanding why he was doing what he was doing. That's what makes him so frightening.

I also liked how the young people in the book worked alongside their elders. The teens are very self-sufficient, but they're not above calling in help from their parents and guardians. That is to say, they may take crazy risks, but they aren't stupid.

I can't wait to read book #3 in the series.