Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Room - Emma Donoghue I'd heard quite a bit about this book before I started it, and to be honest, I was a bit concerned since the concept is downright gruesome. However, I was quite surprised by the telling of this story. I believe it's the innocent narration of five-year-old Jack that makes the whole thing bearable. Room is one of the most interesting, intriguing books I've read this year.
The hero of the story (alongside young Jack that is), is his mother. Because of her love and her extreme bravery, Ma makes this a story of triumph instead of hardship. I greatly admired this young woman. Her imagination and patience was far greater than anything I could have shown in such circumstances.
The author does a terrific job of capturing the thoughts and language of a five-year-old. Especially a five-year-old who has been imprisoned his whole life. Jack made me look at many things I take for granted in a new way. He had a great amount of insight.
The person I disliked the most was Jack's grandmother who never was able to empathize (or even sympathize) with Jack and his mother. She really annoyed me. Not only did she not understand what Jack and his mother had been through, she didn't even seem to realize that Jack was only five years old.
I highly recommend this strange, compelling book.