Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Matterhorn - Karl Marlantes Stationed in the thick of the Vietnam War, the Marines in Bravo Company do what good soldiers always do - follow orders and try to survive.

This was one of the most compelling books I've read this year. Although I typically don't read this genre, I was immediately hooked by the stories of these men. Well, boys, actually since the oldest one was only twenty-four. At times, the tension in the story is almost unbearable. The book is full of heartache and sadness, but there is enough humor to keep it from being too grim.

The book is also very honest. Although the characters have dignity, they aren't perfect. The author never shies away from tough issues like racism, murder, cowardice, and greed. There were several times when the book make me squirm, but in my opinion a good book should put the reader on a spot and make her grapple with questions.

There is a lot of military jargon (the glossary helps) and a number of tactical references that went over my head, but I never became lost. Also, there are many characters in this novel, but each one is so distinctive that it doesn't become confusing.

I'm certain that Matterhorn will remain one of my favorite war novels, alongside my favorite WWII novel, From Here to Eternity. I highly recommend this book.