Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Unclean Spirits - M.L.N. Hanover Jayne's life turns upside down when her long lost uncle names her as the sole inheritor to his wealth, estates, and supernatural enemies.

The reason I loved this book as much as I did was because of the main character. Jayne was the perfect combination of smart, tough, and vulnerable. I also felt a strong kinship because her upbringing and subsequent life choices were so similar to my own (minus the rich uncle who hunted demons, lol). I loved Jayne's progression from deadbeat dropout to woman with a purpose and a strong band of friends to support her. Although I wasn't as impressed with Aubrey, her love interest, the romance touched me.

I also liked that the heroine didn't start the book knowing about the demons or magic. The way Jayne went from disbelief to acceptance felt very natural to me. Also, the plot was interesting, but not overly complex, making the book easy to follow.

If I had any complaints, it was that - at times - the style was overly narrative ("I did this and then I saw this and then I felt this way). But beyond that, this was definitely a five-star read.