Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews As Kate Daniels, magical mercenary, attempts to find who murdered her father's best friend, she discovers that the world of magic is far more evil than even she had suspected.

I'll say it straight up: I did not care for this book. Primarily because I hated the heroine, but also because the description was more graphic than it needed to be, and the plot seemed misogynistic.

In order for me to enjoy a book, especially a book as dark as this one, I need to bond with the central character, and this didn't happen. A character with attitude who refuses to play by the rules *can* be endearing if she has qualities that compensate for her bitchiness, but nothing about Kate was likeable or admirable. She was one of those annoying, misanthropic characters who confuses self-loathing with humility. It puzzled me why any other character in the book thought she was worth befriending much less dating.

Having said that, there were a few things that I really liked. One was the setting. Although I was oftentimes confused by the details of this world, I liked the uniqueness of it. I also liked the savage edge of the magic in the book. Both the vamps and the weres were dangerous, unpredictable creatures, and the world itself seemed unsafe, something I found compelling and interesting.

I also liked Curran, the head of the were-beasts. To me, he was a terrific blend of savage animal and human. I would have liked to read more about this character. I also liked the hint of mystery surrounding him and would like to know why he is considered a half breed.

Unfortunately, other than these two things, I really didn't care for the book, and I doubt I'll continue reading the rest of the series.