Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Maggie for Hire - Kate Danley Maggie, a supernatural bounty hunter, faces hordes of vampires as she struggles to to complete an assignment for the queen of the elves.

The funny one-liners, the zany adventures, and the crazy characters of Maggie for Hire remind me of another UF series I enjoy: Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. Maggie for Hire is a fun, fast-paced read with a terrific, kick-butt heroine and a twisty plot. I enjoyed the book from beginning to end, and I definitely will continue with the series.

A couple of things kept this from being a five-star book, however. One was the elf, Killian, who is Maggie's partner in adventure. Killian had zero personality. He was as one-dimensional as they get. Additionally, the guy was a wuss. Clearly, Danley did not want the elf upstaging her heroine, but the book would have been much stronger if Killian had been a real 'person' instead of a cardboard character. The other thing that bothered me was the rated-R language. There was simply no reason for it. The book itself is very clean, but the language changed that.

Like I said, I really enjoyed this book, and I will be reading others in the series. But with a couple of tweaks, it could have been a five-star read.