Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
The Vampire Shrink - Lynda Hilburn Lovelorn Kismet Knight learns that becoming a psychologist to the vamps can be hazardous as well as extremely rewarding.

This was one of those bipolar books in which the things I liked I really liked, and the things I hated I *really* hated.

The book got off to a great start. The heroine is likeable, and she has a lot of concern for her patients. She's a regular person with a not-so-great past, and at first, her character is very believable. Also adding to the plus side of the equation is the interesting premise. A vampire shrink is a new take on an old trope, and I enjoyed the doctor/patient scenes in which Kismet first explores the world of vamps. Finally, I liked the plot itself. The threads were all fairly loose, but they tied together fairly well at the end.

Unfortunately, there was also a lot that I didn't like. For one thing, the sex was all over the place. I don't mind R-rated scenes, but in order to be any good, they have to flow with the characters and the story. These didn't. Although a self-proclaimed good girl who had kept her panties on for the past two years, Kismet suddenly becomes infatuated with any guy who said 'hello'. Not only that, the guys don't seem to mind that she sleeps sleeps around. Her vampire lover shrugs it off, and her human one tells her he'll wait for her to make up her mind. As if Kismet could ever make up her mind! One moment, she's so in love with Devereaux the vampire that she can hardly stand it, and the next she despises him. She tells Allan, the human, she only wants to be friends, then she asks him to join her in the shower.

There were other things that bothered me. For example, the heroine's name. Kismet would work if her parents had been carefree artistic types, but according to her, they were unimaginative drones. Also, an estranged boyfriend makes an appearance at the beginning of the book, yet completely disappears midway through without anyone caring. I have no idea what his purpose was. Kismet constantly forgets to lock her doors despite the fact that she's being stalked by a rogue vamp. Then there were the Canadian spellings...ordinarily, not a bad thing unless the story is written about an American from a first person POV.

I had really wanted to like this book, and there were quite a few good things about it. Unfortunately, there were even more bad things that I disliked.