Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Changeless - Gail Carriger In this steampunk fantasy, vampires and werewolves combine with dirigibles and something called a aethographic transmitter to make a mystery that Emily Bronte might have written. Provided she'd been suffering through a particularly bad LSD trip. The story also includes the adventures intrepid Alexia Tarabochi (aka Lady Maccon)and her quest to discover why all of the supernaturals of England are suddenly turning human.

These books are delightfully silly in an over-the-top Monty Python way. They're also very clever. I think it would be difficult to write so convincingly about inventions that are completely impossible yet so plausible that the reader wonders if they could actually be built.

I loved the new character, inventor Madame Lefoux, who reminded me of a steampunk version of Q (the inventor from the James Bond series). I also enjoyed the relationship between Lord and Lady Maccon. Their saucy repartee is hilarious. I would have liked to read more about Professor Lyall and Lord Akeldama and less of Ivy and Tunstell, but still, the subplot was fun.

The reason I gave the book four stars instead of five was because I felt that the mystery wrapped up a bit too neatly and easily. I'd already guessed the outcome halfway through the book and so felt cheated by the end. However, the clever creations and the outlandish characters definitely made this a worthwhile read.