Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Anna Dressed in Blood - Kendare Blake Seventeen-year-old Theo Cassius is following in his father's footsteps as a ghost hunter. He's been pretty successful, too, until he meets Anna Dressed in blood. Her power may undo both his body and his heart.

I have to admit that I was tempted to give up after the first couple of chapters. I did not like the narrator's voice at all. In no way did he make me believe that he was a seventeen-year-old boy. His internal dialog sounded way too mature. I also did not like the fact that the book is written in present tense (this is a pet peeve of mine). The entire high school scenario was also packed with more cliches than a Disney TV show. Finally, the names - Thesius Cassio and Carmel (seriously? Not even 'caramel'?) drove me up the wall.

But...I'm so glad that I stuck with it.

This turned out to be a very solid ghost story. The plot kept me guessing (something that is very hard to do), but its twists and turns were never farfetched or over the top. The characters turned out to be well-developed instead of cliched. I even grew to like the narrator, something I did not think was possible.

My one caveat is that although this book was written as a YA novel, it is *not* YA. There were many needless F-bombs for one thing, and the descriptions, although vivid, were far too grotesque for younger readers imho. This is definitely a book for the sixteen and over crowd.

If you enjoy the gory suspense of writers like Stephen King, and the TV show Supernatural, then this book is probably right up your alley. Personally, I will be reading more books by this author.