Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
The Pact: A Love Story - Jodi Picoult As children, Chris and Emily were as close as brother and sister. As teens, they become boyfriend and girlfriend. Now, as they enter into adulthood, their relationship has taken a darker turn. No one is sure what killed Emily, and Chris, the only one who knows, isn't giving any answers.

I'm probably not the best person to review a Jodi Picoult book because I have a real love/hate relationship with her novels. On the one hand, she writes compelling fiction that always leaves me guessing. On the other hand, her prose can be so overblown and her characters so histrionic and quixotic that I end up rolling my eyes.

Although I've enjoyed a number of Picoult books, such as My Sister's Keeper, this one just didn't do it for me. This was an earlier work of hers, and I think that's the reason why I didn't like it. The characters were so unpredictable and the plot so ludicrous that I could hardly stand to read the final few chapters. Maybe a dyed-in-the-wool Picoult fan would enjoy this book, but I certainly didn't.