Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Succubus Blues - Richelle Mead There are three things that I always want to see in PNR/UF books: a memorable cast of characters, a compelling plot, and a strong sense of place. "Succubus Blues" almost, but not quite, delivered all of these things.

Georgina Kincaid, who has been a succubus for hundreds of years, is always looking for love. Not only does she need the physical variety in order to survive, but she also craves the emotional variety. Unfortunately, because her demon sucks the life force out of every man she loves, she keeps herself emotionally distant from human men. Especially, Seth, the man of her dreams.

I enjoyed Georgina's character quite a bit. Despite her demon status and what she must do in order to survive, she's likeable, even admirable. I also liked how she handled the struggles of her curse. On the other hand, there were quite a few male characters and they had a tendency to blend together. On the whole, most of the characters were well defined and interesting.

The plot of this book was also compelling. The mystery worked well. The setting, too, was fun and nicely detailed. I love it when books can take me to another part of the country.

The major downfall of this book happened late in the story when Georgina made a decision that was so out of step with her character and the tone of the book that I wasn't just jarred out of the story, I was ready to put the book down. To me, her decision was forced in order to build into a lengthy and very detailed, intimate scene. All along, Georgina had been acting very mature and determined, but then she took a step by connecting with a man who had proven himself to be psychotic. To me, it ruined what had been a stellar book.

The ending of the book did redeem the rest of the story a bit, but I would have been much happier if the strange, unnecessary segment near the end had been deleted.