Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
1Q84 - Jay Rubin, Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami I hate to admit it, but I don't have a clue what this book is supposed to be about. I think it is one of those books about which readers say, "This is a book that judges you. You do not judge it." In that case, the book is probably judging me pretty harshly since I did not get it. I'll probably be thinking about it for weeks to come, though, and wondering, "What, exactly, did those little people mean anyway?"

On the other hand, I really enjoyed reading it. That may sound surprising, but it's true. I did not care for either character at the start of the book, yet by the end, I was deeply attached to both of them. I loved the setting and the bizarre story line. The ending melted my heart.

Although I think this book would have been twice as good if it had been half as long, Murakami's restrained writing style grew on me. Despite the violence and frightening qualities of some of the characters, the book had a tranquil feeling. This was the first Murakami book I've ever read, but I believe that I will be going back to read more.