Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Winter's Bone - Daniel Woodrell This beautifully haunting, fast paced drama about a family struggling to survive will stick with me for a long time to come.

The story revolves around Ree, a teenage girl who is struggling to give her younger siblings a normal life. Life is hard, but it gets harder when the sheriff shows up at Ree's door to tell her that her family is in danger of losing their house. It seems that Ree's father put it up for bond when he was arrested and then skipped out on his bail. This book is like "Where the Lillies Bloom" with a hard, modern edge.

The writing was some of the best I've come across in a long time, and it carries with it a profound sense of place. Although the adult themes are sensitive, the sense of family and kinship keeps the book from becoming too gritty. The relationship between Ree and her childhood friend was also wonderfully developed.

My one regret is that the main character did not choose the path I'd hoped she would. I understood Ree's need to protect her family; however, I believe she could have made a better decision. Also, at the crucial moment in the story, she was far more passive than I wanted her to be. I almost had the feeling that she was succumbing to her fate rather than take her future into her own hands.

Winter's Bone is a beautiful novel about family and the struggle to survive. I highly recommend it.