Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Bound by Blood - P.A. Lupton Hardcore FBI agent, Brianna Reece, has a secret: a supernatural ability to detect and channel other people's emotions. She's kept this ability hidden for years, but when she investigates a series of related murders, she is not only forced to reveal her true self, she also discovers that she's not the only one who's keep keeping secrets.

This book has a lot going for it. The plot is innovative, the pacing is swift, and the characters are interesting. The relationship between Brianna and her partner Morrison is especially well developed. Also, the premise is inventive. It would definitely lend itself to a sequel.

If I was able to stop right there, the book would have gotten a three, possibly four, star rating. Unfortunately, there are a lot of problems. The first deals with mechanics. The spelling, grammar, and punctuation are so poor that there are at least two mistakes on every page. Even a professionally-edited book can contain an occasional error; however, this book reads like a rough draft. Also, since this book is written in first person by a U.S. citizen, spellings like 'colour' should have been amended.

There is also the matter of the main characters' lack of professionalism. It was impossible for me to believe that either Reece or her partner worked for the FBI given how they handled themselves while investigating the crime. Even local law enforcement officers would not have been that inept.

It's sad that a book with this much potential should be treated with such a lack of professionalism. While 'Bound by Blood' accomplished a few of the more difficult tasks of fiction (such as creating an interesting plot), it completely overlooked the easiest task (editing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors).