Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Moon Called - Patricia Briggs Just when I thought I'd had my fill of vamps and weres, I was introduced to Patricia Brigg's novel, Moon Called.

The book has three things that I love in a novel: strong characterization, a swiftly-moving plot, and a sense of location (in this case, eastern Montana). The main character, Mercedes Thompson, is a strong, single woman who is also a shape shifter. But while Mercy is tough and independent, she's not a recluse or a loner. She has a sense of loyalty to those around her, and is kind-hearted to those in need. She is a character that I am looking forward to reading more about.

I also liked how Briggs describes the world of the werewolf. It is not a world I'd feel comfortable living in, but it was interesting to read about the customs and mannerisms of the weres. The world-building in this novel is exceptionally good.

What I didn't care for was that this book seemed to pick up in mid-story. Mercy had a lot of interesting history that wasn't explored as much as I wanted. I certainly think that a prequel is in order! I was also hoping to read a little more romance, especially in light of the love-triangle that flourishes between two weres who both think of Mercy as their mate.

I lost myself in the world of Mercedes Thompson, and I can't wait to get further into the series.