Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender When nine-year-old Rose discovers that she can taste the emotions of the people who prepare her food, she discovers many secret longings and desires.

The problem that I had with this story was that, despite the element of magical realism, the book was dull. The characters' lives were so ordinary and uninteresting that I didn't care about any of them. The secrets that Rose discovered were typical: unhappiness, longing, fear. And the book's labored prose plodded along from page to page. Even the most exciting event in the story wasn't enough to shake me out of my apathy.

I thought the idea for the book was interesting, but the execution simply wasn't there. By the end of the book, I felt as empty and disappointed as Rose did whenever she ate.