Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro Although this book could be considered a sci fi novel due to the subject matter, it's more of a philosophical look at what it means to be human. Its tone is quiet and restrained, yet it's one of the most emotional, heart-rending novels I've read in a long time. The story is told from the point of view of a young woman who was raised in a strange boarding school, and who spent her youth trying to understand her purpose in life.

Never Let Me Go is a a beautiful, understated novel and it may not appeal to hard-core fans of science fiction. And because the author is more interested in the metaphysical aspects of the soul rather than the scientific basis for his setting, the world-building is sub-par and there are many, many problems with his scenario. But because the book is meant to be a statement on what it means to human rather than what it takes to build such a society, I was able to overlook the problems and focus on the strengths.