Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness Okay, I know that a lot of people really liked this book. In fact, the reason I read it in the first place was because of all the recommendations I'd gotten. So maybe it's just me...but I really, really didn't like this book!

For starters, although the book is mainly written in with a first-person perspective, there are several, random chapters in which a third person POV is used. This seems more for the sake of convenience than anything else. Next, the book moves very, very slowly. There are several chapters in which nothing interesting happens. Finally, there is the ending. Or at least I think there is an ending. Kind of. In reality, the last few chapters of the book are only a set-up for the sequel. Ordinarily, a plot will continue to gain tension as it moves along; however, in this book, the exciting climax of the story comes before the final third of the book, leaving several hundred pages of...well, not much.

I do see the story's charms. The settings are very nice and are full of quaint farmhouses and lovely old castles. The bits about the science of vampires, witches, and daemons are interesting. And the few exciting scenes in the book are also nicely written.

But the story contains so many confusing backtracks, dull spots, strange plot lurches (as when the heroine is stuck at home with her mother-in-law while her husband goes off to England where the real action is), and unanswered questions that I can't recommend the book to anyone.