Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1) - Anna Elliott I found this gem on Pixel of Ink when it was offered for free, but the book is so terrific that I would have gladly paid full price for it. Reminiscent of books by Patricia Briggs and Kim Harrison, "Demon Hunter and Baby" is a thrilling urban fantasy with a sweet love story.

The best thing about this book are the characters, all of whom are very well drawn. Aisling, the heroine, is a tough demon-hunter, but she's also a young, single mother who has to worry about naptimes and babysitters. The author does a terrific job of making Aisling realistically anxious about being a new mom while at the same time not turning into a bumbling fool when it comes to babies. Aisling might worry about the best way to get her daughter, Willow, to sleep through the night, but she also knows how to care for a child (as well as kick a demon's butt). Aisling was an immensely likeable character, strong but not bitchy, tender but not wussy. That's a very tough line to walk.

The main male characters (there are two) also have well-defined personalities. Although I'm not generally crazy about love triangles, I thought this one worked especially well. The two men are solid characters, and there is no teenage-angsty mooning over Aisling. Rafe and Kienan act like men, not boys. The only thing that *did* annoy me was Kienan's, a knight templar, guilt complex. After a while, I wanted to boot him in the butt. But then Aisling did that for me, so it all worked out, lol. Still, I enjoyed all of the characters, major and minor.

The biggest problem with the book is that the title and cover do not do the story justice. I had expected a light-hearted romp about a soccer mom turned demon hunter or some such thing, but in reality, the story was much darker and more interesting that that. I believe the author would do much better with a less-cutesy cover and title.

I'm so glad that I read this book, and I certainly am looking forward to the next one in the series!