Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Scent of a White Rose (The Rose Trilogy, #1) - Tish Thawer Tish Thawer's Scent of a White Rose makes readers care about the characters from the very first page. A fast-paced read, White Rose will keep you guessing until the very end.

After Rose Reynolds' mother suddenly dies, Rose is sent into a tailspin. Not only is she missing her mother, but her grief-stricken father has become so protective that he keeps Rose as a virtual prisoner. Then there's Rose's best friend who has started dating a mysterious guy whom Rose does not approve of. Finally, Rose suspects that her new boyfriend, Christian, is keeping some secrets. Some very dark secrets. The question is, does Rose want to know the answers to those secrets or not?

One of the things that I enjoyed about this book was its strong sense of voice. There are several narrators in this book, and each of them is distinctive. I also liked Rose Reynolds, the main character. She's a good girl, but not a perfect one. She's very loyal to her father even though she understands that she must be allowed to grow up.

There were a couple of things about the book that bothered me, however. One was the language. It's not that I mind strong language, but it didn't seem warranted in a book as mild as this one. The other thing was the romance. I loved the relationship between Rose and Christian, but I wanted to watch it develop more instead of having it keep at the same level throughout.

I'm glad that Scent of a White Rose is part of a series since it means that I'll be able to read more about these characters and their world.