Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
Bossypants - Tina Fey My disappointment with the book stemmed more from my own expectations than from the book itself. I had wanted to read an episode of "30 Rock", but what I found was a moderately interesting episode of "Inside the Actor's Studio".

In "Bossypants", actress/writer Tina Fey writes a series of essays that (somewhat wanderingly) chronicle her life as an actress. She shares bits of her childhood, her early days with the Second City improv group, and her more recent work on the TV show 30 Rock.

Although parts of it were humorous, overall, I didn't find the book very interesting. Tina Fey is a hilarious actress and good script writer, but so much of her humor comes from the delivery that the flat words on the page weren't as funny as I'd expected them to be. Had Fey herself come to my house and read her book out loud to me, I would have been laughing non-stop.

That's not to say that the book isn't worth reading. Fey's "Prayer for My Daughter" is a gem. Every parent should have a cross-stitched version of it up on their wall. Also, Fey comes across as a genuine person. Someone who takes long car trips at Christmastime in order to spend time with the in-laws and thanks a friend for brining mac and cheese to her daughter's birthday party. I've read a few celebrity bios over the years, and this one is definitely the most humble.

My final word is that, although this book has its moments, it wasn't the hysterical comedy I'd been hoping for.