Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
War of the Witch (Legacies of Talimura, #1) - Angel Haze When sixteen-year-old Astanyx and his friends return home from a hunting expedition, they horrified to discover their entire village in ruin. Astanyx's dying father gives them a clue as to what befell their families and friends and begs the boys to take a message to the king. Now, it is up to Astanyx to convince the king of the danger which is about to unleash a terrible power upon the land.

The strongest thing about Legacies of Talimura is its plotting. The book moves swiftly, taking the reader from one exciting episode to the next. There is some 'info-dumping' from time to time; however, the pace is not bogged down by the back story.

For the most part, the book is well-written; however, there are some things keeping it from being a truly great novel. One is the dialogue. There are many places that suffer from the "Deerslayer Syndrome" - a condition in which characters speak slang in one paragraph and then switch to high-flown speech in another.

Another problem is way the sixteen-year-old, peasant Astanyx is treated by his adult companions. Throughout the book, Astanyx's ideas are given equal consideration to those of the high-ranking officers in the army. He's also left alone with the king's daughter a number of times, sent on an extremely important mission that should have been undertaken by a seasoned soldier, and allowed into a meeting among heads of state. I would have liked to read an explanation of why this common-born teenager was given so much respect.

Finally, there were some problems with naming. Astanyx's god, for example, was named 'Shiva'. However, because this god was not the famous Hindu deity, it was jarring to see her name used. The witch's name, Debonair, was also a strange choice since the witch in the book was anything but suave and carefree.

I wanted to like this book more than I did, but I think that with a little more experience, the author's work will improve.