Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
The Frog Prince - Elle Lothlorien Warning: Contains Spoilers

The Frog Prince tells the story of sex researcher, Leigh Fromme, who falls in love with the perfect man. He's handsome, talented, attentive, and a would-be royal...

At this point, the above sentence should include a 'but' or a 'however' or even an 'until' and then go on to explain the problem of the story. But the problem with the book is that there is no problem. A girl dates a boy, they fall in love, he's faithful, magnificent, and a prince besides, and then they get engaged. The end.

Without dramatic tension, the story collapses almost immediately. A good plot should build tension from the first chapter, allowing the central conflict to build up to a moment of crisis. Yes, there are a few bumps in the road for the sex researcher and her beau, but every issue(a jealous ex-girlfriend, a potentially lethal mother-in-law, an infatuated admirer) is resolved so quickly that the reader is left wondering what the point of the story is. There is also a very strange subplot that appears at the end of the book when Leigh decides to map every secret passageway of her boyfriend's Austrian castle. But when the reader expects a mystery to finally unfold, the story instead uses the passageway subplot as a convenient way for the heroine to overhear her boyfriend gossiping about her. Additionally, there is no character arc. The Leigh we meet at the beginning of the book is the same one we see on the final page. Her experiences don't change her at all.

It's too bad that the plot is so poor because this could have been a very cute book. The cover is adorable, the main character (Leigh) is easy to identify with, the prose is well written, and there are many humorous portions. And with William and Catherine's royal wedding not far behind us, the concept for the book is timely. But without a logical progression of events that build tension and leads to a central conflict, the story of Leigh and her princely lover just doesn't work.