Urbanfae

Michelle Scott, urban fantasy author

Shutter Island
Dennis Lehane
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
Tim Gunn, Kate Maloney
Oaths of Blood (Ascension #2)
S.M. Reine
The DIY Guide to Social Media Marketing and eBook Publishing - Coral Russell The (almost) Complete DIY Guide to eBook Publishing contains a great deal of information that would help any would-be writer navigate the complex world of self-publishing. The problem, however, is that navigating the book itself can be challenging.

While the book does not tell a writer how to actually *write* a book (that, the author says, is best accomplished by practice and hard work), the DIY Guide does explain how to publish and promote an indie book.

The advice offered in this book is comprehensive, covering topics from how to format a book for Smashwords to the best uses of an author's blog. It also contains so many links that a reader may find herself overloaded with information. But for anyone starting out in the writing industry, this book would be very helpful.

The problem is that the book itself is very confusing. The formatting (at least in the Kindle version) makes subheadings from headings blend together. Also, the overall organization is a bit strange. (For example, advice on how to use FaceBook and Twitter is placed between the sections on how to create a book cover and how to format text.)

I would recommend looking at this book on a computer as opposed to attempting to sit down and read it cover-to-cover on a Kindle or Nook. I think the document would both be easier to read and easier to navigate.

So here's the upshot: "The (almost) complete DIY Guide" is full of wonderful information for a newly-minted writer; however, finding all of that information may be a challenge.